OM yoga 200 Hr teacher training: Joining Heaven and Earth
OM yoga Teacher Training taught by Cyndi Lee will you the tools to teach creatively sequenced, alignment-based yoga classes grounded in mindfulness and compassion. Keep it safe, keep it fun, keep it real.
This program, known as the “ivy league” of teacher trainings, will offer a lot of opportunities for students to practice hands-on adjustments and to teach each other, working in groups to understand alignment. Each day will include an asana class, homework assignments, study group discussions and class observations.
There will be reading, writing, meditation, study group or observation homework assignments.
Students will be required to take 20 asana classes, preferably OM yoga style, and to doing one home practice a week, two 30-minute meditation practices a week and keeping a yoga practice journal.
- Ability to do sirsasana away from the wall, adho mukha vrksasana and pinca mayurasana at or away from the wall, and urdhva danurasana with straight arms. (If you can’t do this yet, you can apply and work on getting there by the time the training begins.)
- at least one year committed yoga practice is recommended
- Yoga Body Buddha Mind by Cyndi Lee
- What is Yoga? written by Cyndi Lee
- The Wisdom of No Escape and the Path of Lovingkindness by Pema Chodron
- Light on Yoga by B.K.S. Iyengar (selected pages required reading, not the whole book)
- OM yoga Beginner/Intermediate DVD – must watch and practice with at least 2 times
- OM yoga and Meditation DVD/CD — must watch and practice one time
2013 Course Syllabus
1. What is OM?: Establishing the class mandala, clarifying motivation, discovering the layers of an OM yoga practice as a student and a teacher, Svadyaya, learning to teach 3 variations of Surya Namaskar
2. Transitions: Learning sequencing, Creating Thematic content, Learning to teach Standing Poses and Standing Balances
3. Yoga Body Buddha Mind: Instruction and Practice of Mindfulness Meditation, Cultivating Lovingkindness meditation, Learning to integration mindfulness and compassion into the practice of teaching OM yoga
4. Openings and Closings: Movement relationship to inhaling and exhaling, Hip Openers, Backbends and Twists, Forward Bends
6. Turning Upside Down: Inversions – Adho Mukha Svanasana, Pinca Mayurasana, Sirsasana, Sarvangasana and preparations
7. Yoga Sutra: Group sutra presentations, weaving of philosophy and dharma into an asana class through words and action
8. Restoring the Subtle Body: Seated forward bends, Kapalabhati, viloma, cultivating breath awareness; Restorative Yoga, Savasana
9. Teaching Beginners: Use of props, Creating Building Blocks
10. Joining Heaven and Earth: Intensive practice of hands-on adjustments, final written exam, group teaching exam, What ifs?, clarifying your vision as a yoga teacher, Dedicating our Practice.
At the end of this session, everyone will be ready to teach OM style vinyasa yoga!